Skip to main content

Introversion Explained: Understand Your Introverted Employees

There's nothing wrong with being introverted vs extroverted, yet many bosses misunderstand the value of introverts. If you think introversion is a negative trait, read below to see why you're WRONG.

Introversion: Not a Second-Class Personality

I'm not going to try to convince you that introverted individuals are better than extroverted individuals. I'm simply arguing that introverts are not worse, not team players, less engaged, paying less attention, boring, dry, tired, less creative, more sensitive, less charismatic, etc, etc, etc.

Instead, I'd like to introduce a new way of interpreting social signals and cues from introverts to understand and recognize how introverts are an asset to any professional team. Most people just want to do a great job, but introverts go and about it differently than an extrovert would, and this is a good thing.

What Are "Introversion" and "Extroversion"?

What are introversion and extroversion? They exist on a spectrum but generally, introverts enjoy being alone while extroverts like being with people.
Introversion and extroversion exist on a spectrum, rather than being two sides of a coin. A person can fall anywhere on this spectrum, including somewhere in the middle. These people tend to self-identify as ambiverts.

There are countless writings out there explaining the difference between introverts and extroverts, so I won't dive too deep into this. The foundational difference between introverts and extroverts is which situations they feel energized in. Typically, introverts feel most energized when doing solitary tasks and activities, such as writing and reading. Extroverts tend to feel most energized in social situations and they enjoy large groups of people.

Notice that I didn't mention anything to do with social skills, intelligence, or creativity. Unfortunately, it can be easier to try to apply stereotypes to other people instead of getting to know them and evaluate them on a one-by-one basis. As a result, just because an introvert might tend to be less ready to jump into a group conversation at work, they might be told that they're not fun. Meanwhile, the reason they aren't jumping in to the conversation is really because they're listening deeply, analyzing what is being said, and waiting until they have something of value to add.

Of course, introverts know that others can't read their minds and figure out what is happening internally. Rather, I'd argue that it's worth the effort to understand that the action of being quiet ≠ being disengaged from the social culture at work. All introverts want is the benefit of the doubt.

Misconceptions About Introverts

Misconceptions about introverts lead people to believe we are shy and quiet.
Misconceptions about introverts lead people to believe we are shy and quiet.

There are a lot of common misconceptions about introverts that I think lead to people devaluing us and the work we do. I've suggested some alternative ways to view our behavior below. Keep these in mind when interacting with the introverts in your life.

Misconception Reality
Unfriendly or antisocial. Reserved and observant before speaking.
Shy or low-energy. Don't feel the need to talk a lot.
Hyperfocused or easily distracted. Prefer to concentrate on one thing at a time.
Don't enjoy social situations. Better 1-on-1.
Lack confidence. People are less likely to notice our confidence cues.

How to Overcome Introversion at Work

Introverts at work.
I'm tired of people being surprised when I tell them I work in marketing.

So, after all that, how can one overcome introversion at work? The answer is: you don't have to! Haven't you been paying attention? Introversion is not a character flaw. We are not secondary to extroverts. We are just different and that is not a bad thing.

For example, I recently started doing live streams for my job in which I intervew a subject with a focus on digital marketing and technology. I didn't expect this task to be an area where I could thrive. I used my introverted tendencies to tackle this new challenge. I carefully planned and prepped and by the time I executed my first interview, I felt confident. This was reflected on camera and the interview was a success.




Connect with me on LinkedIn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should I Learn SQL?

What is SQL? Does it fit the kind of career path that I am aiming for? I needed to figure this out, so I decided to blog about it. What is SQL? Should I Learn It? My prediction is that my conclusion will be, "yes." What is SQL? Does making this wordcloud count as exploratory data visualization? SQL stands for "Structured Query Language" and is a language used to get information from databases (thanks for breaking it down for me Encyclopaedia Britannica ). You send a command to the database and records are returned that match your command. You can also use it to update a database. Because my goal is to work in quantitative marketing research, this does seem like it could be useful. What's the solution to the uncertainty of the economy during COVID-19? Click anywhere in this box to read my article about consumer insights here So, Should I, Gabby Giannuzzi, Learn SQL? Deciding to learn SQL or not is tough

Overview of MFour Mobile Research, Inc's Survey App: Survey On The Go

Mobile market research apps are such an exciting prospect because of the added functionality that they offer. The app whose features I discuss below is called Survey on the Go and was created by MFour Mobile Research, Inc. I chose to research this app because when I was searching in the Google Play Store, it was one of the highest results and it looked the least like a scam. Is this mobile marketing research app as good as it claims to be? Survey on the Go App - Advanced Mobile Marketing Research According to their listing in the Google Play Store, their unique value proposition is that the reward for taking their surveys is cash, not points. The only purpose of the app is to complete surveys and get rewards. The app does not offer any other functions. Features & Functionality An advanced mobile marketing research app is best used on the go, while the participant's memory is still fresh. According to the MFour Mobile Research website ,

How To Do Image SEO (3 Tips for Beginners)

Photo SEO is intentionally using all aspects of the photo to make your website more appealing to Google's algorithms. You're Ready to Add Photos to Your Website, But How Do You Optimize Them for Search Engines? This article contains the basic SEO actions that you must take on every photo that is uploaded to your site. 1) Give Your Photo an Intentional File Name This is the easiest good image SEO practice you can get into. It is simple, but necessary. If you're reading this article, chances are you've been optimizing your whole site. This means that every section of every page has its own distinct idea and it likely has its own long-tail keyword associated with it. You want to insert this keyword in a human-readable way into the file name. The name for the picture above this section might be, "photograph-seo-for-beginners.jpeg." Google reads the file name to understand the context of the page. This is invaluable when you are trying to rank well for