Skip to main content

Should I Learn SQL?

What is SQL? Does it fit the kind of career path that I am aiming for? I needed to figure this out, so I decided to blog about it.

What is SQL? Should I Learn It?

My prediction is that my conclusion will be, "yes."

What is SQL?

SQL Wordcloud. SQL, database, data, query oracle, ISO/IEC, language are all notable words in the cloud.
Does making this wordcloud count as exploratory data visualization?

SQL stands for "Structured Query Language" and is a language used to get information from databases (thanks for breaking it down for me Encyclopaedia Britannica). You send a command to the database and records are returned that match your command. You can also use it to update a database. Because my goal is to work in quantitative marketing research, this does seem like it could be useful.

So, Should I, Gabby Giannuzzi, Learn SQL?

Should I learn SQL? This depicts the reader staring expectantly at their screen, waiting for the answer (jokeing of course).
Deciding to learn SQL or not is tough because I'm working and in the MSU Master's of Science in Marketing Research program at the same time.

It appears that the answer is yes! According to PayScale, if you want to be a Data Analyst, gathering data through surveys and then interpreting, and, eventually, presenting it, then it is important to be knowledgeable in SQL. I guess I better get crackin'! Say, how should I go about learning SQL?

How to Learn SQL.

Code on a computer screen that could very well be SQL.
Coding on a computer screen that could very well be SQL for all I know right now, before taking a course!

I've made a little list of free resources to learn SQL.

  • W3 Schools offers free study materials and then a $95 certification exam (for SQL and many other programming languages)
  • SQL Course is another online source to learn the basics of SQL
  • Code Academy- I like this one because it is interactive.
  • Khan Academy - I haven't used it yet, but this looks like it goes really in depth.



Connect with me on LinkedIn!

Comments

  1. You totally should! Sql has been a major player in data analysis and other careers for a hot minute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overview of MFour Mobile Research, Inc's Survey App: Survey On The Go

Mobile market research apps are such an exciting prospect because of the added functionality that they offer. The app whose features I discuss below is called Survey on the Go and was created by MFour Mobile Research, Inc. I chose to research this app because when I was searching in the Google Play Store, it was one of the highest results and it looked the least like a scam. Is this mobile marketing research app as good as it claims to be? Survey on the Go App - Advanced Mobile Marketing Research According to their listing in the Google Play Store, their unique value proposition is that the reward for taking their surveys is cash, not points. The only purpose of the app is to complete surveys and get rewards. The app does not offer any other functions. Features & Functionality An advanced mobile marketing research app is best used on the go, while the participant's memory is still fresh. According to the MFour Mobile Research website ,

How To Do Image SEO (3 Tips for Beginners)

Photo SEO is intentionally using all aspects of the photo to make your website more appealing to Google's algorithms. You're Ready to Add Photos to Your Website, But How Do You Optimize Them for Search Engines? This article contains the basic SEO actions that you must take on every photo that is uploaded to your site. 1) Give Your Photo an Intentional File Name This is the easiest good image SEO practice you can get into. It is simple, but necessary. If you're reading this article, chances are you've been optimizing your whole site. This means that every section of every page has its own distinct idea and it likely has its own long-tail keyword associated with it. You want to insert this keyword in a human-readable way into the file name. The name for the picture above this section might be, "photograph-seo-for-beginners.jpeg." Google reads the file name to understand the context of the page. This is invaluable when you are trying to rank well for